Tuesday, April 19, 2011

So Pretty!!!

I finally got something finished!  Hooray!

I actually made a dress form.  Is that cool or what?  I found the pattern from this seller on ebay.

The fabric is a lovely home dec from the thrift store.  It has "1984" printed on the selvages!  I can so picture it in my Grammy's house way back then, she would have loved it.

Anyway, having an actual, real, dress form helps so much in the designing process!   Yay!!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

So so busy, and nothing to show for it

I have been working my fanny off, but I truely couldn't tell you what I've been doing. 
Easter dresses are half done.  My coat is almost cut out.  I did some stuff for DeWayne.  I did some mending and lots and lots of housework and Homeschool, but nothing really exciting or... finished.

So I'll just post some pictures of our day at table rock this last Saturday.  It was lovely!

I wish my battery hadn't died half way through.

And now the last picture.  AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  I am feeling very motivated to lose weight!  No wonder my friend (whom I don't see very often) asked me if I was expecting!  I had lost 5 pounds and was toning up and stuff, but then I gained 7 and it all went to my belly.  Arhg.  You'd think a nice, long, uphill hike would do something for me, but noooo.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

I'm going to talk like a Mormon for a minute

So my coat, right?  Oh my freaking heck! (that's mormon swearing)

I've used a lot of printable patterns.  Most of them are perfectly fine to lay out and tape.  Some are tricky.  This one was nearly impossible!!  First of all, there were 57 (!) pages.  With that many you know there's going to be a mistake somewhere.  Then, the edges and overlap were not clearly marked.  At all.

Plus, there are no notches or markings at all except for 1 notch on the top of the sleeve.

When I finally got all 57 pages just right and taped together, I had to go over each pattern piece to make sure it was actually correct, and then alter each pattern piece.  Sherry gives some great tips for altering and checking patterns.  I already knew most of it, but the stuff I did pick up was priceless.
Anyway, I shortened the tail, lengthened the waist

and the sleeves, added pockets, added vents to the sleeves, and changed the collar just a little.

It's going to be so stinkin' cute, I can hardly wait